Aspire Sandwell MBC
In 2017, a research project - Aspire Sandwell was conducted to evaluate the levels of aspirations amongst Key Stage 3 pupils across Sandwell.
Focus groups highlighted that students had high aspirations but did not know how to achieve them – often students would state option choices that did not link their future careers and that they did not know whom to talk to about their careers
Recommendations from the research:
- Careers information and guidance to be focused on lower age groups within schools
- Positive conversations about aspirations should be encouraged and facilitated within schools and education settings
- Engagement of parents in the learning of their children needs to be fostered and encouraged
- Raising the profile of Sandwell as a positive place to live, with brilliant opportunities for young people, needs to be raised
- Raising awareness of extra-curricular activities for young people
- Development of an employer pool that can be utilised by young people with interests in gaining experience, employment and training, with links to the upcoming business needs.